Sunday, September 10, 2017

First Week of School

Well, we've got the first week of school under our belts.

Grade 10 and Grade 7.

Senior and Junior High. 

Eeks. 

Tuesday September 5th was our first day. We didn't prepare ahead of time. We simply set alarms and got up. Sadly, for me, alarm setting time is early

We've had a big shift in school start times this year. We were lucky for Mace's 3 years of Jr. High, his start time was 9:00 am. 

Madelyn's start time is 8:15 am, and she's on the school bus. At a congregated bus stop, to make matters even more inconvenient. [At a bus stop that is 4 km away from our house. Across a very busy [8 lanes of traffic at 80 km/hour] roadway. There's no way she can get there herself.] So we have to get her there, for 7:25 every morning. Leaving the house at 7:10 each morning. Meaning, her wake up time is 6:30 each morning. Meaning my wake up time is before that... 

Poor me, I know. But I'm not a morning person, and so far I've done this school with kids thing, okay. I had to get up for 7:00 am, the last 3 years with Mace. Now, I'm up just after 6 am. This could be a long 3 years, but I'm trying to think about all the wonderful things I can do in the morning. How productive I can be. 

Here are first day of school photos:


Both kids were up at the same time. Mason woke his sister up, for her first day of Grade 7. She left the house at 7:05; he left the house at 7:40. He was delighted to learn he'll be able to sleep until 7:00 most mornings. No different that the last 3 years.


Off he goes. First day of school photo. With a couple new clothing items, that he actually picked out.  He's mad the trip to the school on city transit already. So he knows where he's going. Proud of the young man this guy is becoming. Hoping for an awesome year ahead.


First day of Grade 7. She's going to a school with a uniformed program. We ordered the clothing back in June, so hoping that it will be at school ready to pick up today. On the first day of school, they were asked to wear a white polo top, if they didn't have the required shirt. In this photo, she is apprehensive but very excited.



This was my after school treat for the first day back. Square pretzels with a candy melt and a 'stem'.  Found this idea here. Easy-peasy, all of us enjoyed them but Madelyn. She didn't like them.  Seriously, WHO doesn't like sweet and salty?


And we're still relishing in crazy warm temperatures. 

This summer has been awesome. Though the smoke from surrounding forest fires has been absolutely  brutal off and on all summer long. 

I have to say, this is the first time I'm actually looking forward to the cooler temperatures of fall. To wearing sweaters and boots and scarves. I have been so hot, all summer long. I'm not complaining. I am just looking forward to cooler temperatures and smoke free crisp clean air. 

 

No comments: