Thursday, August 25, 2016

In Limbo

I'm currently in limbo.

My PC died. Literally died. I had just finished a few layouts, and suddenly the screen on the computer went wonky, and then the computer shut itself off...

Oy.

I was sick to my stomach about it for 3 days. I still am, but those first three days, those were the worst. You may recall me talking about a new Mac computer we bought, back in January. We had supposedly 'migrated' all our stuff from the PC to the Mac, but as you might expect, there were problems. Do things ever run smoothly in the technical world?

The issues never got fully resolved. We never saw the final migration totally completed.

We saved all our data onto an external hard drive, so I have everything up until January. Supposedly.
[By the way, I'm using finger quotes when I say "supposedly"]

I'm not very computer literate. I get nervous about anything that doesn't go exactly the way it's supposed to. I suppose that goes back to all the years of calling the IT desk for help at work. I never dreamed of solving things myself. Always a nice young man came up and solved things for me...  So, I have the external hard drive, and 'supposedly' all the information on there. [Seriously, fingers crossed]

After a while, we had two computers to choose from. And I always chose the PC of course, it's what I know/knew. I still used PSE, which worked perfectly fine. Why worry about downloading that onto a new computer and learning the new ins and outs of PSE on a Mac? Plus, none of my photos came over during the migration, so even if I had the new program, how did I get to my pictures? It's becoming clear to me by the way, that at least one of my kids should get into 'computer stuff', so they can help their dear old Mum...

So, nothing changed, in how I used our PC computer. I continued on, quite merrily, doing what I've always done.

Sometime, the CD burner on the PC quit working. I'm going to say February-ish. Don't know why, but accessing the CD Burner was no longer an option. Did I just date myself there? By using the words CD Burner in a sentence? Again, that's what I had, and it's whats I knew/know. Please don't judge me.

However, I have all my photos burned onto CD's. Except the photos since Jan-Aug, because, I couldn't...

In the grand scheme of things... I have 10 years worth of photos burned onto CD's, so to say I don't have the last 7 months of photos backed up... Well, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Plus, I've kept up to date with printing off my project life photos, so I think I have up to week 24 printed off... But that's where it ends. Week 24 was back to the first week of June... So I have the paper copy of that, but not the digital copies...

The worst part, is I haven't printed off a digital copy of my regular scrapbook layouts since last summer. From 8x8 up to 12x12. It's too expensive in Canada to print them off [a 12x12 size runs $5.99 per page. Per. Page] So, I tend to save them up until I have a significant amount, and send them to be printed in the states. But there again, the Canadian dollar is just terrible right now. The last time I sent photos to be printed, I sent them to Persnickety, I was really displeased with what came back to me...  And I had to pay in US $$ to be disappointed. So I've been a bit gun shy about sending my stuff there, hence the reason I have over a years worth of layouts, that didn't get printed off... Eeks.

So, I'm hoping I can get those layouts back.

Speaking of layouts, I also do a school album for the the kids. I had just finished the pages for Mad's Gr 5 year and Mace's Gr 8 year also. But didn't send them to Costco... Bummer. If I'd at least done that, I could get to those photos... So those are stuck on the computer also.

Any way... I'm not the only person this has happened to. It just totally sucks.

My last complaint is, this isn't high on Barry's radar... To have someone come in and pay them, to restore stuff on our PC. If that's even possible. He has a work computer, so doesn't think twice about the inconvenience I'm experiencing. I have commitments too, so I'm desperate to the this sorted out.

Just like that, the sick to my stomach feeling is back... It didn't go away after all.

I'm hoping that this issue gets solved.

Until then, it's going to be quiet on this front. Can't even post a photo here...



No comments: