Tuesday, December 18, 2012

In Our Hearts

Last weeks events, have changed us forever. Much like that of 9/11. Anyone who has a family of their own can not possibly be unaffected by that horrific, event in Newport CT. It doesn’t matter that this happened in another country, this has happened in our world, we are all connected. I can’t stop thinking about all the families that have been affected. The Mum’s and Dad’s. The grandparent's and great-grandparent's. The aunt’s and Uncle’s. The nieces and nephews. The cousins. The friends. The colleagues. In such a small community, this will be devastating.

I think my eyes have finally lost their puffiness. I did my best to stay away from the news broadcasts this weekend. I think everyone wants to know how/why something like this could happen… Like knowing that will help somehow. I don’t imagine we’ll ever know the answer to that question.

I sent my kids to school yesterday, and I didn’t want to. I actually felt sick to my stomach as Mason walked towards the bus. School is where they’re supposed to be safe. I went in and volunteered yesterday. I didn’t want to go in either.  I’m thankful for the staff that were able to carry on, and continue with their day, to assemble in the gym and sing Christmas Carols, as an entire school. I’m thankful for so many teachers in my kids lives, that love what they’re doing, and are good at doing it. I’m thankful that I have my children to hug and love.

I don’t know how I would deal with this unimaginable loss.

These families have been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard the news on Friday. I truly hope that God’s arms are wrapped tightly around them. They are surrounded not only by God’s love, but the world’s love, compassion and grief.

These families, whose lives will never be the same again, are in my prayers.  

No comments: