Friday, January 6, 2012

Christmas Vacation is Nearly Over

I know I'm lucky. My kids get along. I apologize to my poor mother often about that fact. [Sorry Mum] because it makes me feel like a heel that I was so mean to my brother when we were kids. I'm not mean to him any more, but growing with me as a big sister, might not have been the most pleasant thing in the world...[Sorry Chris]

Any who. My kids, who play really well together and for the most part, get along well, because of Mason's personality. He will let his little sister do just about anything. If he wants to watch something, and she doesn't he says "Fine, let's watch your show". If he wants to play a game, and she doesn't, he says "Fine, what do you want to do?" If they're playing, and he wants to do something a certain way, but she opposes, he'll finally say "Fine, let's do it your way" He's very accommodating. Too much so, I think sometimes. I tell him that he needs to stand up for himself, and do what he wants, not always let her have her own way. He nods his head, agrees with me, but then let's her get her own way a nanosecond later.

Having said that, if it were Mason making the demands, wanting his own way, Madelyn would have absolutely no qualms about saying to him: "Look dude, that's NOT the way I see this playing out" She would probably even go so far as to say, "Look dude, if you're not going to play this my way, then you're not playing..." [No doubt she'd have her hands on her hips as she said this] I have a sneaking suspicion that I was a little bit more like Madelyn in this aspect, being the older sister. Unfortunately I wasn't the nurturing, agreeable type. I suspect I could have learned a lot from Mason.

This could go on and on, how I was bossy, mean and not much fun to be sisters with, but this isn't about me... It's about a conversation I overhead this afternoon.

Here's a picture of these two, taken on Monday. A whole week of vacation left. Both giddy with their jammy day. Playing with new toys, new games, having a great time.


Today I heard this, and I just knew it was a good thing school is back in on Monday:

mace: "Madelyn - What's gotten into you? You're like a bad smell following me around. I just don't want to play with you right now. Can you please just leave me alone...

Of course, when he does stand up to her and say no, it's always very dramatic, and there are always copious amounts of little girl tears...

But sometimes you've just gotta stand up for yourself. Way to go Mason.

There has been enough together time.


No comments: