Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Humble and Thankful

I have kept quiet about something. It turns out, I don't share my feelings too well. [Of course my close friends and family already know that, so this admission isn't new to any of them] Yesterday my Dad was in surgery. Major surgery, to remove a portion of his lung. We've been waiting patiently for this surgery to happen since the beginning of September. Let me go back a bit...

When we got home from our trip this past summer, in July, my Dad got word that there was a spot on an X-ray that was 'of worry' to his doctor. There's nothing quite like that conversation to change the way you view things, and nothing like those few words to put you in a place where you begin to think of every worst case scenario possible... Over the past 3 1/2 months we have worried and worried and worried some more. There have been tests, appointments, scans, probes, searches... The results have constantly evaded a diagnosis. It was decided that the doctor would remove the mass in his lung. It's a major surgery. We waited to hear about a date for the surgery since the beginning of September. Suddenly there was a phone call, and a date on the calendar penciled in. We found out the about the surgery on Wednesday, and it took place on Tuesday.

I have spent countless hours praying to God over the past 3 1/2 months. Early on I stumbled across this scripture: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding" [proverbs 3:5-6] Immediately those words gave me such peace. Since this began, I kept finding myself coming across this scripture. So often it happened just when I needed to see/hear it most. It was God's gentle reminder to me, that I was not in control, He was/is.

The surgery took place yesterday. It went without a hitch. It was scheduled to be at least a 3 hour surgery, and it ended up being a one hour surgery. We all feared the worst, and it ended up being the best resolution possible. It turns out, the mass was what they call a 'burned out infection'. They removed the mass and it wasn't nearly as intrusive to the surrounding lung tissue that they'd first anticipated. The best news of the day it's not cancer...

Though the news is terrific it was still a major surgery and the recovery time is 6 weeks. He'll be in the hospital for the next 5-7 days.

I am humbled, that God is gracious enough to give our family this outcome. We are blessed and forever thankful.

No comments: