Friday, October 22, 2010

Apple Pie

The anticipation around here is mounting!! Yesterday Madelyn and I made our first batch of sugar cookies! Mmmmmm...

Speaking of yummy things, I made an apple pie!! This apple pie right here! It's not going to win any awards on appearance, but in taste... It was phenomenal. I bought the crust, I just wasn't quite ready to get into pastry yet... I may never be. And that's just fine with me. [After all, you can buy it ready to go] simple-schmimple... I made the filling from scratch. That's right, real apples, cinnamon, sugar, flour, a little bake in the oven and voila... Pure goodness. This pie was eyes rolling into the back of your head good... Next time, I'm going to add some caramel... Sweet Mother of Pearl... Just when you thought it couldn't taste any better, I'm going to make it taste even better. I'll have to keep you posted about the Caramel Apple Pie. It's going to have to hold on a while, I've reached my maximum dessert quota for October already!

The recipe I used for the pie is this:

5 apples, peeled and thinly sliced [I used MacIntosh]
2/3 cup white sugar
3 tbsp floor
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 375°
Put bought pie crust into a pie plate.
Place apples in a large bowl, add lemon juice and toss apples. Add sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Toss until all apples are mixed well and thoroughly coated.
Spoon into crust.
Top with remaining bought crust. Seal edges [important if edges are seals, there will be leakage]. Cut steam vents and brush the top of the crust with milk.
Cover pie with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 25 mins. Remove foil from pie and bake for another 20 - 25 minutes, until the crust is golden. Serve warm with vanilla icecream.

This cute little fella went to school in Mason's lunch yesterday. Guess what, it came home in Mason's school lunch without cranberry eyes... That's all he ate, the cranberry eyes. The kid likes cheese, and he likes bread, he even likes a grilled cheese, but a Cheese Sandwich... Well, he wasn't even going to entertain that idea. I'm always hopeful!

No comments: