Thursday, September 2, 2010

And Just Like That...

School has started.

Just like that, it got quiet.

Just like that, we are back into a routine.

Just like that, bedtime is a normal time again [THANK GOODNESS]

Today was the first day back to school for my kids. [It still seems weird to say kids, when I'm talking about school] Mason got thrown right back in, with a whole first day. Madelyn started Kindergarten, and it's a much longer process. A couple of staggered entries. A day with parents. A day without parents. So far so good. Everyone seems to be happy.

Keeping with tradition, this morning they went to school with their bellies full of pancakes. [Typically this happens on first day of school and birthdays, it's certainly not common!] I'm not exactly a morning person, as if you didn't know...

I made the kids each a little first day of school treat. That perked them up a bit first thing in the morning. [Mason explained to me last night, that if I woke him up and he was crabby, that I was not under any circumstances, to talk to him] Sheesh... It was kinda like looking in the mirror... Except I was looking at Mason.

I found this idea for these little cones on a class I did at BPS. I put in hand sanitizer, key chains I made for their back packs, tic tacs, pencils and stickers. It was a hit.

Since poor little Mason had to spend a WHOLE day at school, I snuck a little treat in his lunch. Thought it would perk him up a bit. Found this idea here. I just love other peoples good ideas!



The first day of school pose. It was CHILLY this morning. It was only 4°, and you could totally see your breath.

Mason found his best buddy in all those kids, and all was well with the world.

Then a few hours later, we did a staggered start with Miss Maddy. When she's really excited, she tries as hard as she can NOT to smile.

Walking to school. Look at that! It's me! In a picture! Thanks Barry!

Sitting at a desk in Kindergarten, trying NOT to smile again. We're thrilled she'll be with the same teacher Mason had last year.


And last but not least, the kids and I made cookies yesterday. We found dinosaur cookie cutters and of course HAD to have them. Once I made the cookies, I tried my hand at decorating them with fancy-schmancy Royal Icing. You have to pipe around the edges of the cookie, then let it set a bit, before "flooding" the inside of the cookie. Along with all the other crafty stuff I do, I have an extremely soft spot in my heart for cookie decorating... I'll try to calm myself... But I enjoyed it more than I thought I might, and it was fun to do! Considering it was my first time, I think they look pretty darn good! I was pleased, and of course so were the kids!

No comments: